Granita and Vanilla Panna Cotta
Panna Cotta is a silky, creamy custard scented with vanilla is beautifully basic. The Granita or an Italian ice is icy, snow-like crystals with concentrated flavor. Apothic is one of my favorites wines to drink by itself. Apothic’s complex flavors of fruit, spice, mocha and vanilla are enhanced in this dessert. As Apothic granita begins to melt into the vanilla panna cotta, you wind up with a playful pair.Wine Pairing: Apothic Red
This recipe contains , wine (red), sugar, water, creme de cassis, lemon juice, rosemary, cloves, peppercorns (black), , heavy cream, half & half, sugar, vanilla bean, gelatin (flavored), water
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 2 hr
- Apothic Granita:
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Apothic Red Wine
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 tbsp. creme de cassis liqueur
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- Vanilla Panna Cotta:
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 2 cup(s) half and half
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 1/2 tsp. Knox unflavored powdered gelatin
- 6 tbsp. cold water
- 1. Start with the Granita: Combine all ingredients into a medium saucepan over medium-low heat & simmer – 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2. Cool completely to room temp. Strain into a shallow airtight container; Cover & place in the freezer – 2 hours.
- 3. Take a fork & scrape the surface of the granita to form icy crystals (think of a snow cone).
- 4. Place back in the freezer – 1 hour.
- 5. Repeat with taking a fork & scraping the surface to form more icy crystals.
- 6. For the panna cotta: Heat the heavy cream, half-n-half & sugar in a saucepan over medium heat to dissolve the sugar; Remove from heat & scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the cream; Add the bean pod.
- 7. Cover & let infuse – 30 minutes
- 8. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl & let stand – 5 to 10 minutes.
- 9. Remove vanilla bean from cream mixture & reheat over medium heat;
- 10. Pour the warm cream over the gelatin; Stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- 11. Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into the 6 ramekins or large wine goblets; Chill until firm - 2 to 4 hours.
- 12. Plating: Garnish the panna cotta with a couple of tablespoons of the granita with a fresh rosemary sprig.