Ajvar, vegan bread spread or dip
A wonderful, vegan, Eastern European bread spread, dip or side dish with roasted peppers and eggplants
This recipe contains bell peppers (red), eggplant, garlic, onions, paprika, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar, olive oil
4 - 6 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp. hot paprika powder
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 100 cup(s) ml/ a bit less than 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Place the red bell peppers and the eggplants on a baking tray laid with baking paper and bake them for about 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size, until the skin blackens and the vegetables are really soft.
- 3. Alternatively and even better for the taste is to grill the veggies on a hot grill.
- 4. Place the peppers in a plastic bag, seal the bag and leave them until they cool down a little. This will help with removing the skin afterward.
- 5. Let the eggplants cool down as well.
- 6. When cool enough to handle remove the skins of the vegetables very thoroughly.
- 7. Mash the vegetables, not very finely, you should still have small chunks of the veggies here and there.
- 8. Add the grated garlic clove, the finely chopped onion, salt, pepper and hot paprika powder.
- 9. Mix well and add the vinegar and olive oil in a thin stream while stirring all the time.
- 10. Adjust the taste with more salt and pepper if necessary.