A Classic Strawberry Shortcake
An easy, romantic, classic dessert that is full of fresh strawberries and homemade whip cream, all on top of a crumbly little cake.
This recipe contains strawberries, sugar, , sugar, flour (all-purpose), baking powder, butter, eggs, milk (fat free), , heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 3 cup(s) sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Shortbread Ingredients::
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup(s) margarine or butter
- 1 egg, beaten (use only 2 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup(s) non-fat milk
- Whipping Cream Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1. Stir together berries and 1 Tbsp. sugar, aset aside.
- 2. For the shortbread: Stir together 2 Tbsp. sugar, flour and baking powder.
- 3. Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 4. Combine egg and milk, add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir till just moisten.
- 5. Spread into a greased 4 – 6oz ramekins, building up the edge slightly.
- 6. Bake for 10 – 13 minutes or till toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- 7. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, split into 2 layers.
- 8. To make whip cream:
- 9. In a small bowl, mix cream, sugar and vanilla extract, beat until a heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
- 10. Spoon the fruit and whipped cream between layers and over top. Serve immediately.
- 11. NOTE: If you double the recipe, you can use an 8″ round cake pan and cook for 20 – 30 minutes. It’s so pretty when you have a full size cake.
- 12. Calories per serving: 357, Fat: 15, Cholesterol: 40, Sodium: 198, Potassium: 243, Carbs: 45.6, Fiber: 3.5, Sugar: 19, Protein: 6.1