(Houston's) Spinach Dip
The Spin Dip is one of my favorite things on the menu at Houston's Restaurant. I searched high and low for this recipe! This is as close as I've found. It's full of cheese, artichokes and spinach. Served it with chips, sour cream and salsa.
This recipe contains spinach, butter, fresh garlic, onions, flour (all-purpose), heavy cream, chicken stock, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, cheese (pecorino), sour cream, cheese (monterey jack, shredded), artichoke hearts
8 - 10 Servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 20 oz. frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/4 cup(s) butter
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp. minced onion
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 pt. heavy cream
- 1/4 cup(s) chicken stock
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup(s) fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded white cheddar cheese
- 12 oz. artichoke hearts drained, coarsely chopped
- 1. Strain spinach and squeeze through a cheesecloth to remove as much liquid as possible.
- 2. In heavy saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic and onions in butter until golden, about 3-5 minutes.
- 3. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- 4. Slowly whisk in cream and stock and continue cooking until boiling.
- 5. Once boiling, stir in lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and Romano cheese; stir until cheese has melted.
- 6. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 7. Stir in sour cream, then fold in dry spinach and artichoke hearts.
- 8. Pour in large ovenproof/microwave proof dish. Or smaller ramekins (as shown.) Sprinkle cheddar evenly on top.
- 9. Heat in microwave or bake in oven until cheese on top is melted.
- 10. Serve hot with tortilla chips, sour cream and salsa for dipping.