Braised Red Cabbage
Sweet and sour, I just can't get enough of this recipe at the moment. Luckily it fits into my healthy eating plan then.
This recipe contains cabbage (red), olive oil, shallots, garlic, apples, ground cinnamon, honey, red wine vinegar, red wine, salt, black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 2 hr 15 min
- 650gr / 1.5 lb red cabbage
- 1 x tbsp olive oil
- 2 x shallots chopped finely
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped finely
- 2 x apples chopped in small cubes
- 1 x level tsp cinnamon
- 2 x tbsps honey
- 1 x tbsp red wine vinegar (or balsamic)
- Splash of red wine
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1. In a relatively wide, heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil and add the shallot and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes or until they have browned and softened a little.
- 2. Add the apple and stir through the onion and garlic mix then add the cabbage, cook on a medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add the cinnamon, honey, salt, pepper, stir through.
- 4. To de-glaze, first turn the heat up, let the pan get hot being careful not to burn the contents, add the wine and the vinegar, stir through and turn the heat down to medium low.
- 5. Cover and cook on a gentle heat for up to 2 hours.
- 6. Once the cabbage has softened it is ready, check for seasoning and serve.