Braised Chicken Paprikash
Rich with sour cream and two types of paprika, this yummy chicken dish will be a sure winner at the dinner table.
This recipe contains chicken breasts (bone in), salt (kosher), black pepper, oil (vegetable), flour (all-purpose), butter (unsalted), olive oil, onions (red), mushrooms (portobello, baby), sweet paprika, paprika (smoked), chicken stock, chicken stock (low sodium), sour cream, flour (all-purpose)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 2 whole Bone-in Chicken Breast Halves, with skin
- 1 ds. kosher salt
- 1 ds. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup(s) All-Purpose Flour for dredging
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 cup(s) Red Onion, chopped
- 1/4 lb. Baby Portabella Mushrooms, quartered
- 5 1/2 tbsp. Sweet Hungarian Paprika
- 1 tsp. Smoked Spanish Paprika
- 1 whole Container Chicken Stock Concentrate
- 5 1/2 cup(s) Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 cup(s) Sour Cream
- 2 tsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 1. Preheat Oven to 350ºF.
- 2. Season Chicken all over with Kosher Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper and add a dash of Smoked Spanish Paprika on the skin side.
- 3. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the Vegetable oil.
- 4. Dredge Chicken in Flour and knock off any excess and immediately place Chicken in hot oil, skin side down and cook until the skin is browned and crispy.
- 5. Reduce the heat to medium, turn the Chicken over and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- 6. Remove Chicken to a plate to rest.
- 7. Add the 2 tablespoons of Butter to the pot to melt and scrape up some of the cooked bits from the Chicken.
- 8. Add the chopped Onion to the Dutch oven and sweat (cook stirring until the Onions begin to release their moisture).
- 9. Add Mushrooms and cook stirring gently for 2 minutes then stir in 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil and both Paprikas stirring for 1 minute more.
- 10. Add the container of Chicken Stock Concentrate and stir until dissolved, then add the Chicken Stock and bring to a boil.
- 11. When the stock is boiling, return the Chicken Breasts to the liquid, skin side up.
- 12. Cover and place in the oven.
- 13. While the Chicken is in the oven, mix the Sour Cream and 2 teaspoons of All-Purpose Flour until completely blended
- 14. set aside.
- 15. Stir ¼ cup of the braising liquid from the pot into the Sour Cream mixture to temper and thin it slightly.
- 16. After 45 minutes, remove the pot from the oven to the stove top and transfer the Chicken to a plate covering with foil to keep hot.
- 17. Bring the braising liquid to a boil over medium heat.
- 18. Slowly add the Sour Cream mixture to the braising liquid, whisking until smooth.
- 19. Turn heat to low and continue whisking for 5 minutes until thickened.
- 20. Serve with buttered Kluski style egg noodles, ladling the gravy over the Chicken and noodles.
- 21. To serve four persons, don’t double the recipe unless you’re doubling the size of the braising vessel. (You don’t want to boil the chicken in the liquid!)
- 22. To increase the quantity of available sauce, which is the integral component in this dish, make these changes: Double the quantity of red onion and mushrooms; increase the amount of sweet paprika to 2 tablespoons and the chicken stock to 2 cups; use 3 teaspoons of flour in the sour cream mixture. Of course, use 4 chicken breast halves!