Bolognese Sauce over Fusilli
Bolognese sauce simmered down to the nth degree of tenderness. Serve over fusilli.
This recipe contains olive oil, butter, onions, carrots, celery, beef (ground), pork (ground), pork sausage, salt, pepper, milk, nutmeg, wine (white), tomatoes (diced), pasta, butter, cheese (parmesan)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 5 hr
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 tbsp. butter unsalted
- 1 cup(s) onion small dice
- 1 1/3 cup(s) carrots small dice
- 1 1/3 cup(s) celery small dice
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb. ground sausage
- ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cup(s) white wine dry
- 2 can(s) oz. , 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 lb. pasta like fusilli or pappardelle
- 2 tbsp. butter to toss with the pasta
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated for topping
- 1. Place the oil and butter in a large pot. Use enameled cast-iron or stainless steel. Heat over medium heat.
- 2. Sauté the onion until it is translucent, then add in the carrots and celery.
- 3. Stir the vegetables for about 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the ground meat, a pinch of salt, and some freshly ground pepper. Brown the meat and break any clumps into small pieces.
- 5. Pour the milk into the pot and simmer, stirring often, until the liquid has cooked away completely, about 50 minutes.
- 6. Stir in the nutmeg.
- 7. Add the wine and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has evaporated, about 40 minutes.
- 8. Add in the tomatoes, stirring well to mix everything together.
- 9. As soon as the sauce starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- 10. Let the sauce cook uncovered for at least 4 hours, giving it a stir every 20 minutes or so. By the end, there should be no liquid left.
- 11. Boil the pasta, drain, and toss with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 12. Serve 1/3 cup of bolognese sauce for approximately 4 ounces of pasta topped with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.