Blackberry Peach Pie
This pie offers everything a good pie should. A flaky crust, delicious filling of sweet summer peaches, balanced with the addition of fresh, tart blackberries, and a slight hint of cinnamon in every bite. Serve it warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. There’s nothing better!Be sure to check out the post on my blog!
This recipe contains , , flour (all-purpose), sugar, salt, unsalted butter, water, , peaches, blackberries, lemon juice, sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg (whole), cinnamon (ground), salt, cornstarch
- Double Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 unsalted butter, very cold
- ~1/2 cup ice water
- 5 large white (or yellow) peaches (~3 lbs), peeled & sliced into 1/3" wedges
- 1 cup(s) fresh blackberries
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) lightly packed brown sugar
- few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1. -Prepare Pie Dough-
- 2. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut up cold butter into cubes and place in separate bowl.
- 4. Place both in freezer for 5-10 minutes to chill.
- 5. Remove butter and flour from freezer.
- 6. Working quickly, use a pastry cutter (or your fingers) to incorporate butter into dry ingredients until butter resembles the size of small peas.
- 7. Using a spatula, slowly stir in ice water.
- 8. Using hands, knead dough together briefly to form a ball (add an additional tablespoon of water at a time, if more is required).
- 9. Divide dough in half, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and allow to chill in fridge for roughly 2 hours.
- 10. Prepare filling (see below) and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 11. After dough has chilled, remove one disc of dough (roll bottom pie crust first).
- 12. Place dough on a well floured surface, dust with more flour, and roll out evenly into a large, roughly 12-13” diameter disc—rotating the dough continuously as you go.
- 13. Fold into quarters and transfer to pie dish to unfold.
- 14. Using knife or kitchen scissors, trim any remaining overhang to one inch.
- 15. Brush off any excess flour with a pastry brush.
- 16. Repeat procedure above with remaining dough to form top pie crust.
- 17. Trim any overhang to the diameter of the pie dish.
- 18. Fold the rim of the bottom crust over the top and crimp using a fork or your fingertips (for more detailed instructions, read this tutorial).
- 19. Using a sharp paring knife, make several ~1 inch vents in pie dough.
- 20. Place pie dish on foil-lined baking sheet (this prevents any juices from overflowing onto your oven floor and creating a smoke-filled kitchen) and bake for roughly 20 minutes.
- 21. Turn down temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- 22. **If crust is beginning to brown too quickly, cover with a foil tent for remainder of baking time.
- 23. Serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream (or allow to cool completely if you prefer a thicker, less runny pie)!
- 24. -Filling-
- 25. Bring medium saucepan of water to boil.
- 26. Using a paring knife, make a small X on the bottom of each peach and carefully drop into boiling water.
- 27. Allow to poach for roughly a minute (depending on the ripeness of your peaches), before removing and placing in a large bowl of ice water.
- 28. Using paring knife, carefully peel skin from peaches and set aside.
- 29. Once all peaches have been peeled, remove pits and slice into roughly 1/3” slices.
- 30. Place in large bowl.
- 31. Add blackberries and toss with lemon juice.
- 32. In separate bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cornstarch.
- 33. Add to fruit and stir to thoroughly coat.
- 34. Set aside.
- 35. I promise, the most challenging part of this recipe will be waiting for it to cool down once it comes out of the oven. Enjoy!