Blackberry and Figs Chutney / Compote
I had the blackberry overload in my fridge. Also while putting the pantry together in the new house, came across some “dried” figs. I haven’t cooked anything fun since sometime because of the move. So I thought why not create some magic with these two together…..and voila ….the blackberry and fig together took a chutney/compote avatar ).
I had to soak the figs since the dried ones were over dried . I love my spice so soaked half a dried red chili with it … The easiest thing that I have ever put together in no time. My 2&1/2 year loved it and wanted to eat more but I had to stop her. It looked beautiful. Get cooking with me now .
This recipe contains blackberries, figs (dried), chili (red, dried), black pepper, chili powder, salt, cumin (ground), sugar (brown), honey, vinegar, lemons, lemons
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 5 min
- 2 cup(s) blackberries
- 6 cup(s) fried figs
- dry whole chili
- 1/3 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 tsp. red chili powder
- salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1/2 whole lemons
- 1 - 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1. Grind blackberries, figs and red chili in a coarse paste in the grinder with the water in which figs and chili were soaked.
- 2. Pour the paste out in a pan.
- 3. Put the pan on medium heat. Add all the above ingredients to the paste.
- 4. Let the ingredients simmer together for 4-5 minutes.
- 5. Your sweet and spicy blackberry and fig chutney/compote is ready .
- 6. Enjoy on top of the toast or crackers. Serve as a side/dip for pretzels, celery sticks, breadsticks. For more fun, top a bit over your vanilla ice cream . Enjoy it with chopped nuts as well!
- 7. Note : it can be stored in an air tight jar in the fridge for upto 10-12 days.
- 8. Yield : approximately 1 cup
- 9. Serve size : 1 tbsp