Black-Eye Pea And Barley Salad
Enjoy This On A Nice Summer Evening!! ..Or A Cold Winter Night By The Fireplace!! Such A Beautiful Combination Of Grains And Vegetables!! One Of My Favorite Salads!!
This recipe contains , bell peppers (yellow), onions (green/spring), corn kernels, lettuce (leaf), , limes, limes, garlic, cumin, cilantro, olive oil, honey
6-8 Servings servings
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, charred, peeled and diced1 cup ripe tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup scallion (white and green parts) sliced diagonally
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh cooked or thawed frozen
- green and red leaf lettuce leaves, optional
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime or lemon zest, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1. In a dry saucepan, lightly toast the barley over moderate heat until fragrant, about 5 min., stirring to prevent burning.
- 2. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender, about 40 min.
- 3. Remove from the heat and let stand, partially uncovered, until cooled to room temperature before stirring.
- 4. Meanwhile, cook the peas in lightly salted boiling water until just tender but not mushy, about 15 min.
- 5. Drain, cook, and set aside.
- 6. TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE -
- 7. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime (or lemon) juice, zest, garlic, cumin, cilantro, oil, and honey
- 8. add sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- 9. In a large glass bowl, layer the barley, peas, roasted pepper, tomatoes, scallions and corn.
- 10. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss before serving. If you like...arrange greens on serving plates and top with the salad.
- 11. Note: Be sure to buy pearled barley, which has been hulled and polished. Barley that isn't pearled never readily softens when cooked.