Balti Chicken Curry
Wonderful, mild chicken curry
This recipe contains chicken (whole), oil, onions, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, cardamom (pods), black peppercorns, cumin (seeds), ginger (fresh), garlic, garam masala, chili powder, salt, yogurt, lemons, cilantro (fresh)
4 - 5 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 whole chicken, about 1.5 kg/ 3.3 lbs
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 3 whole medium onions
- 4 whole medium tomatoes
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 5 - 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. garlic, grated
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. coriander Leaves
- 1. Clean and skin the chicken, then cut it into 8 pieces.
- 2. Wash the pieces and set them aside.
- 3. Chop the onions and the tomatoes.
- 4. Heat the oil in a large pan.
- 5. Add the onions and fry until they are golden brown.
- 6. Add the tomatoes and the spices, including the salt.
- 7. Lower the heat and fry everything for about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- 8. Add the chicken pieces and stir-fry until the spices have penetrated the meat and the chicken begins to get some color, about 7 minutes.
- 9. Add the yogurt, stir well, cover the pan and cook on low for about 15-20 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
- 10. Stir in between to make sure that the food doesn't stick to the pan.
- 11. Add the lemon juice, some more salt if necessary and the chopped coriander and serve.