Baked Roccan Lamb Rolls
Baked Roccan Lamb Rolls combines the wonderful Moroccan flavours into an egg roll. Baked not fried for a healthier appetizer.
This recipe contains , egg roll wrappers, lamb (ground), mushrooms (white), ras el hanout, cabbage, carrots (shredded), oil (grapeseed), salt, , jam (fig), water, balsamic vinegar (fig), balsamic vinegar (pomegranate)
- 1 package of egg roll wrappers
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 8 oz. of white mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. of Ras El Hanout seasoning (or your own blend)
- 3 oz. of shredded cabbage
- 3 oz. of shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil (for cooking and brushing on rolls)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- For the Sauce: (makes 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup fig jam
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. Fig balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- 1. Sauce:Using an immersion blender, puree the fig jam until smooth.
- 2. Combine the jam, water, and both vinegars into a small pot.
- 3. Heat until boiling then reduce heat to med-low.
- 4. Continue to cook until the mixture reduces down to 1/2 the volume.
- 5. It should end up being thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- 6. This should take about 20 minutes or so.
- 7. Set aside to cool.
- 8. ROCCAN Rolls: Get your veggies ready.
- 9. For the cabbage you can either buy pre-shredded, or shred your own.
- 10. For the carrots, peel and use a grater to shred.
- 11. For the mushrooms wipe off any dirt.
- 12. I used my blender to quickly chop them, but you can use a food processor or even a knife and do it by hand.
- 13. In a skillet heat 2 tbsp. of grape seed oil.
- 14. Add the lamb and cook over med-high heat for 10 minutes.
- 15. Take off the heat and drain any excess fat/liquid from the skillet.
- 16. Place back on a medium heat and add the mushrooms, and seasonings.
- 17. Cook an additional 10 minutes.
- 18. Remove from heat.
- 19. Add the carrots and cabbage.
- 20. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- 21. To assemble: Get a small bowl of water ready to dip your finger in.
- 22. Take an egg roll wrapper and place 1/3 cup of the cooled meat/mushroom mixture into the centre of the wrap.
- 23. Dip your finger into the water and run it along ALL edges of the wrap.
- 24. Fold in 2 diagonal sides and press lightly to seal.
- 25. Starting from either of the remaining 2 (pointed) ends, roll from one end to the other.
- 26. Press lightly to create a seal.
- 27. Place roll, seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- 28. Continue process till you have made all your rolls.
- 29. To bake: Preheat oven to 400º F.
- 30. Lightly brush the rolls with grape seed oil.
- 31. Bake for 10 minutes.
- 32. Turn over (and if needed brush with oil).
- 33. Continue to bake for 5 minutes.
- 34. Turn broiler on to high and quickly brown to give them a nice finish.
- 35. Be sure to turn the rolls over to brown each side.
- 36. To eat: Arrange rolls on a platter.
- 37. Place the dipping sauce in a bowl.
- 38. ENJOY!!