Baked gnocchi with sage and cheese
Cheesy, creamy and comforting with a hint of sage.
This recipe contains , potatoes (yukon gold), flour (all-purpose), salt, , unsalted butter, flour (all-purpose), chicken stock, cheese (fontina), cheese (parmesan), sage (fresh), nutmeg
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 40 min
- For the gnocchi
- 2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, cut into large pieces
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- For the cheese sauce
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 cup(s) chicken or vegetable stock, warmed
- 1 cup(s) Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. fresh nutmeg
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Fill a large saucepan with water.
- 3. Add the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- 4. Boil the potatoes until they are very soft.
- 5. Drain and set run through a food mill, or ricer for nice smooth potato.
- 6. Put the potatoes in the fridge until they are cool, this will help keep them fluffy.
- 7. Prepare 2 sheet pans by dusting them with flour, set aside.
- 8. On a clean work surface mix together the potato and the flour and knead for about 4-5 minutes until the dough is soft and smooth. Only add enough flour so the dough comes together and is not tacky.
- 9. Cut the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll one 1 quarter of the dough into a 3/4 inch log.
- 10. Cut the log into 3/4 inch pieces.
- 11. Roll the pieces over a gnocchi board or the back of a fork to create ridges onto the floured sheet pan in a single layer.
- 12. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- 13. Let the rolled gnocchi dry out for about 1 hour before cooking.
- 14. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- 15. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat to a gently boil, so you don't break up the gnocchi.
- 16. Add the gnocchi and boil for about 3 minutes, or until they rise to the top.
- 17. For the cheese sauce (while the gnocchi is cooking): In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- 18. Whisk in the flour and whisk until flour turns golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 19. Add the warm stock and continue to whisk until it thickens, about 3 minutes.
- 20. Add the fontina and parmesan cheese and stir with a spoon until melted.
- 21. Stir in the chopped sage.
- 22. Stir in the cooked gnocchi and transfer to a casserole or baking dish.
- 23. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.