A festive autumn dessert that tastes as good as it looks
This recipe contains , graham crackers, pecans, sugar, cinnamon, butter, , cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, , apples, sugar, cinnamon, , apricot preserves, pecans
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr 15 min
- FOR THE CRUST
- 8-9 Graham crackers finely chopped to crumbs = 1+ cups
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped pecans
- 3 Tbs Sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 Tbs butter melted
- FOR THE BATTER
- 2 -8oz packages cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- FOR THE APPLE LAYER
- 7-8 baking apples (ie: Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 4-5 Tbs apricot preserve melted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (lightly toasted optional)
- 1. FOR THE APPLE LAYER:
- 2. Peel and core the apples and slice thinly
- 3. Add to the sugar and cinnamon and mix well until all the apples are coated.
- 4. Set aside.
- 5. FOR THE CRUST:
- 6. Preheat oven to 350°
- 7. In a small sauce pan melt the butter
- 8. In the food processor add the pecans and chop until very fine
- 9. Add the Graham crackers and pulse until finely chopped and put mixture into a bowl.
- 10. Add the butter and with a fork stir to combine, until all the cracker is wet with butter and no dry parts are still visible.
- 11. Place the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan and press down to form a solid bottom crust.
- 12. Place into the center of the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, remove to a wire rack to cool..
- 13. FOR THE BATTER:
- 14. In the bowl of the mixer place the softened cream cheese and the sugar and on medium speed cream until well combined
- 15. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the blades of the mixer
- 16. Add the vanilla and on medium low add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until each is well incorporated.
- 17. Pour into the cooled springform pan and smooth the mixture level.
- 18. APPLES:
- 19. Arrange the apples in decorative layer over the batter and then place the pan into the oven and bake for about 70 minutes.
- 20. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- 21. In the mean time melt the preserve and once the apples a lightly cooled brush the preserve over apples to coat all and give a nice sheen to the top.
- 22. Sprinkle the pecans over the apples.
- 23. Now carefully run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen from the sides of the pan
- 24. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours, overnight even better.
- 25. Remove from the refrigerator about an hour before serving and remove the sides of the springform pan.