Asparagus Coconut Curry
Creamy and tangy coconut curry with asparagus and sweet potatoes
This recipe contains coconut oil, onions, garlic, ginger, garam masala, paprika, turmeric, sugar, coconut milk, vegetable stock, sweet potatoes, carrots, asparagus, frozen peas, limes, salt
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- a large piece of ginger, as big as a thumb
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cans (400 ml/ 13.5 oz each) coconut milk
- 250 ml/ 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 medium carrots
- 500 g/ 18 oz green asparagus
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 lime
- 1. Chop the onion and slice the garlic cloves thinly.
- 2. Grate the ginger.
- 3. Heat the coconut oil in a large pot.
- 4. Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- 5. Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, paprika powder, turmeric and sugar and stir for about half a minute.
- 6. Pour in the coconut milk, bring everything to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 7. In the meantime peel and chop the sweet potato and carrots into cubes.
- 8. Remove the woody ends of the asparagus (freeze to use for a vegetable broth on another occasion) and cut the asparagus into mouth-sized pieces.
- 9. Add the sweet potato and carrots to the pot, bring to a boil again and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 10. Add the asparagus and cook for another 7 to 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the asparagus is cooked but still has a little bite.
- 11. Add the peas during the last 2-3 minutes of the cooking time.
- 12. Add the juice of about half a lime and salt to taste.
- 13. Taste again and adjust the taste with either more lime juice or some sugar according to your taste.
- 14. I liked this to be a bit tangy so I added a bit more lime juice.
- 15. Serve with rice.