Asian Pear & Oolong Mousse Cake
This lovely mousse cake is when East meets West.
The subtle, sweet & fragrant oolong mousse with crispy Asian pears coupled with the chewy & moist pecan brownie.
This recipe contains , pears, tea (oolong), sugar, water, , eggs, pecans, sugar, chocolate (dark), butter, flour, , , whisky (bourbon), , eggs, whipped cream, sugar, chocolate (white), gelatin (unflavored), milk, tea (oolong), , , whisky (bourbon), gelatin (unflavored)
8" square servings
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 30 min
- OOLONG TEA POACHED ASIAN PEARS
- 2 Asian pears, peeled, cored & diced
- 5 g oolong tea leaves, in a tea infuser
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 200 g water
- PECAN CHOCOLATE BROWNIE
- 2 eggs, separated
- 75 g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 80 g sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate 72%
- 100 g salted butter
- 45 g plain flour
- OOLONG SYRUP
- 50 ml pear oolong syrup
- 1/2 tbsp whisky
- OOLONG WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 3 egg yolks
- 350 g whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 20 g sugar
- 120 g white chocolate, melted
- 10 g sheet gelatine, bloomed in cool water
- 200 ml milk
- 10 g oolong tea leaves
- TOPPING JELLY
- 150 ml pear oolong syrup
- 2 tsp whisky
- 4 g sheet gelatine, bloomed
- 1. POACHED PEARS
- 2. In a saucepan, combine sugar & water, bring water to boil & stir until sugar dissolved.
- 3. Remove from heating, put in the pears & the infuser containing oolong tea.
- 4. Leave to stand for 3-5 min then remove tea infuser but leave pears to stand for at least 1 h.
- 5. Drain the pears & reserve the syrup.
- 6. BROWNIE:
- 7. Preheat oven to 190C & line a parchment paper on a 8" square pan.
- 8. Melt chocolate & butter over simmering water, stir until smooth.
- 9. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks with 20 g sugar until light & creamy, fold in the chocolate butter.
- 10. In another bowl, whisk egg whites with remaining sugar to soft peaks, fold in chocolate batter.
- 11. Sift in the flour & add the pecan nuts, fold until combined.
- 12. Pour into the prepared pan & bake for 18-20 min.
- 13. OOLONG MOUSSE:
- 14. Combine oolong tea & milk in a saucepan, bring the milk to boil then keep it simmering for 3-5 min, remove tea leaves.
- 15. Add in the bloomed gelatine & stir until dissolved.
- 16. Add in melted chocolate & stir until smooth.
- 17. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar over simmering water until pale & creamy.
- 18. Pour in the chocolate milk & stir until smooth.
- 19. Fold in the whipped cream until smooth.
- 20. ASSEMBLING:
- 21. Remove the brownie & place it at the bottom of a 8" square mousse ring.
- 22. Brush generous amount of oolong syrup on the brownie.
- 23. Pour the oolong mousse over the brownie, arrange the pears evenly over the mousse, refrigerate to set.
- 24. Pour the jelly on top & refrigerate to set.
- 25. Carefully remove the cake from the mousse ring, cut into 10 entremets & decorate with fruits.