Ariba Fajita Bowls
I love this recipe for a variety of reasons. It’s the perfect mixture of protein and veggies. The spice of the marinade and jalapeno are matched flawlessly by the cool, smooth avocado. It’s also super versatile in the toppings department. Not to mention that it’s really healthy, and with summer right around the corner who doesn’t love that?
This recipe contains chicken breasts, lettuce (romaine), onions, jalapenos, avocados, wheat tortillas, brown rice, black beans, fajita marinade, cooking spray
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 2 whole romaine hearts, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1/2 whole small jalapeno, chopped
- 1 whole avocado, sliced
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup(s) brown rice
- 1 cup(s) black beans
- 1 cup(s) Fajita marinade
- cooking spray
- 1. Marinade your two chicken breasts in the cup of marinade prior to cooking. I like to marinate overnight if possible, or at least for an hour or two.
- 2. Heat up the grill (or a skillet, if you prefer to stay indoors) to medium heat.
- 3. While grill/skillet is heating up, prepare your brown rice. I use Minute rice because it only takes 10 minutes from start to finish.
- 4. Begin to cook the marinated chicken on your preferred cooking method of choice. I use the grill, and it takes about 10 minutes for the chicken to cook through. It is also possible to do this on a skillet (coat w/ 1 tsp vegetable oil or cooking spray first).
- 5. While chicken is cooking, prepare the fajita bowl.
- 6. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 7. Turn two oven safe bowls upside down (opening down) on a cookie sheet — preferably one with edges so it doesn’t slide off — and coat with cooking spray. The size of the bowl isn’t an exact measurement. It should be small enough that the tortilla can fit over the top and partially around the sides, but not so small that you don’t have enough of a “bowl” when you remove the tortilla.
- 8. Take the two tortillas and press them gently over the bowls. The idea here is to bake the tortilla over the bowl to create a crispy shell that can hold your salad.
- 9. Place cookie sheet in the oven and bake tortillas until golden and crispy (approx 7 minutes).
- 10. Continue prepping the vegetable toppings if they are not already chopped/sliced, etc.
- 11. This is also a good time to rinse and drain the black beans.
- 12. Remove chicken from grill and slice into strips.
- 13. Remove tortilla bowls from the oven.
- 14. Layer all of your ingredients into the tortilla bowl as desired, and top off with a little extra marinade as a dressing.
- 15. A drizzle of taco sauce also works well here if you have it sitting around.