Black Currant Refrigerator Jam
Aromatic black currant refrigerator jam made with agave syrup
This recipe contains black currants, agave syrup, cornstarch, water
- 350 g/ 12.4 oz black currants, weighed after destalking the berries
- about 9 tablespoons agave syrup or another sweetener
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- a few tablespoons water
- 1. Clean and remove the stalks of the black currants.
- 2. Place them in a large pot and add the agave syrup.
- 3. Use a potato masher to crush the currants a little. You definitely don't want a berry puree here, just mash the currants partially to obtain some juice while retaining most of them intact.
- 4. Mix well and let stand for about an hour. The mixture will become juicier during this time. Taste and add more sweetener if desired.
- 5. Bring everything to a boil and let cook for about 5 minutes while stirring from time to time.
- 6. In a small bowl mix the corn starch with some water to obtain a paste.
- 7. You can change the corn starch amount used in order to get the desired consistency.
- 8. Slowly pour this mixture into the boiling jam while whisking continuously.
- 9. Bring to a boil again and cook for one more minute.
- 10. Let cool, transfer into a clean jar and refrigerate.