Black Bean and Veggie Burgers with Corn Salsa
Getting this meatless burger together had the workspace around me smelling like springtime! There are bunches of different veggies in these burgers that provide great flavor and texture. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can substitute your favorite vegetables, beans and even spices, which I did.
I made Corn Salsa as a topping for the burgers (goes great with chips, too!), but top them with whatever floats your boat — cheese, avocado, lettuce, mustard… again, that’s the beauty of these burgers!
These burgers can be frozen (once cooled) for the week ahead or serve them up, stat!
This recipe contains carrots, garlic, celery, bell peppers (red), onions, beans (black), salsa, oatmeal, bread crumbs (panko), flour, black pepper, creole seasoning, salt, cooking spray, , corn, peppers (jalapeno), tomatoes, onions (green/spring), garlic (fresh), parsley, limes, salt, black pepper, red pepper (ground)
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup(s) celery, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup(s) onion, diced
- 1 can(s) oz. black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 cup(s) salsa
- 1/4 cup(s) oatmeal (I used a bit more)
- 1 cup(s) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup(s) flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Creole seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- For the Corn Salsa:
- 2 cup(s) canned corn
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 - 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1. Mix all the salsa ingredients together and chill for about an hour before serving.
- 2. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- 3. Spray two baking sheets lightly with the nonstick spray and set aside.
- 4. Add the carrot to a bowl with a little water, cover it and microwave for about two minutes.
- 5. Once cooled, mash them and add them to the mashed black beans.
- 6. Mix together then add the remaining vegetables and mix well.
- 7. Add the oatmeal, breadcrumbs, seasoning and salsa. Mix together until combined.
- 8. Add the flour and mix well. If the mixture is too moist, add more flour and adjust the seasoning, as needed.
- 9. Form the mixture into patties and place them on the baking sheets.
- 10. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking.
- 11. When the burgers are finished, serve with the Corn Salsa or your favorite topping.