Black and White Pasta Salad
Having bought some tasty Italian White Anchovy Fillets and some fresh Kalamata olives, we decided to invent a new pasta salad. Since food bloggers and food stylists are concentrating on rainbow color presentations these days, we decided to do a black and white retro number. Here's the recipe we created and posted on our blog;
This recipe contains anchovies, pasta (penne), olives, garlic, cheese (feta), lemons, basil, lemons
- 5 oz. white anchovy fillets packed in white wine and olive oil marinade
- 6 oz. dry Penne Rigate pasta
- 1/2 cup(s) Kalamata deli olives, cut in half diagonally
- 3 clove(s) large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- juice from 1 lemon
- basil leaves for garnish
- several lemon wedges for serving
- 1. Start the pasta boiling in salted and oiled water.
- 2. When finished cooking, rinse and drain.
- 3. The Penne Rigate takes 11 minutes to cook during which time you can accomplish the rest of the prep prior to combining.
- 4. Cut all but a few of the anchovy fillets into 3/4 inch lengths.
- 5. Leave a few whole for the top.
- 6. Do not discard any of the packing liquids as that will be the source of the oil and vinegar.
- 7. Mince the garlic and reserve with the rest until the pasta is cooked, rinsed and shaken dry.
- 8. When the pasta is ready, place in a medium bowl and add enough of the packing oil to coat it and stir thoroughly.
- 9. Add the remaining ingredients, combine and refrigerate for an hour or so to allow the flavors to mingle.