Best Buttercream Frosting
This buttercream frosting is velvety smooth and not too sweet and is delicious on almost any cake.
This recipe contains milk, flour, butter, sugar, vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a sauce pan whisk together the milk and the flour.
- 2. Stir constantly over medium high heat until thickened, this will take a few minutes.
- 3. Set aside to cool until the bottom of the pan is warm to the touch.
- 4. TIP: place the sauce pan in the freezer on a hot pad for 5-7 minutes, to cool it down faster.
- 5. While the thickened milk mixture is cooling, combine and beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light and creamy, about a minute.
- 6. Take the cooled, thickened milk mixture and give it a stir.
- 7. Then add a tablespoon at a time to the butter mixture, beating on medium high speed until all the milk mixture is added.
- 8. Beat an additional minute or two until the frosting is smooth and extra creamy.