Beer Batter "Dudecakes"
Rich, buttery beer batter cupcakes topped with maple buttercream and finished with cayenne praline bacon. The ultimate man-friendly cupcake recipe!
This recipe contains , sugar, flour (all-purpose), baking soda, salt, beer (ale), butter (unsalted), vanilla extract, eggs, sour cream, , butter (unsalted), cream cheese, sugar (powdered, confectioners), vanilla extract, sugar (brown), maple syrup, , bacon, sugar (light brown), pecans, cayenne pepper
- For the cupcakes (makes about 24) :
- 2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup(s) Delirium Tremens beer, room temperature (this is important melted butter will curdle if it's mixed with cold beer)
- 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup(s) sour cream
- For the maple buttercream:
- 1 cup(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz. (half brick) cream cheese, softened
- 6 cup(s) confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. maple sugar (I used India Tree brand, found at Whole Foods)
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (I used Stonewall Kitchen brand)
- For the cayenne praline bacon:
- 1/2 lb. thick cut bacon
- 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) halved pecans
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more, if you want a greater kick)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place cupcake liners in muffin tin
- 2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. In a separate large mixing bowl, combine Delirium Tremens (pale ale beer), melted butter, and vanilla.
- 4. Beat in eggs one at time. Mix in sour cream until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- 5. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, whisking well as you go.
- 6. Fill muffin tin until each is 3/4 full.
- 7. Bake for about 19-21 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- 8. Remove cupcakes from tin and allow to cool completely.
- 9. While cupcakes are cooling, combine cream cheese and butter in a medium mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy
- 10. Add powdered sugar two cups at a time, beating well between each
- 11. Add maple sugar, vanilla extract, and maple syrup and beat
- 12. Spoon buttercream into a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes
- 13. Place bacon strips in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes
- 14. Pulverize pecan halves in a food processor
- 15. Dump pecan crumbs into a small bowl and add brown sugar and cayenne, mix with a spoon until blended
- 16. After bacon has been baking for 20 minutes, remove from oven, generously sprinkle pecan mixture over the bacon, place back in oven, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- 17. Remove bacon from oven, break up into smaller pieces, and stick them into the iced cupcakes!