Beef Tenderloin Steaks with Seared Mushrooms and Red Wine Vinaigrette
Kick off barbecue season by grilling this mouth-watering steak recipe from Weber's New Real Grilling cookbook.
This recipe contains , , , beef (tenderloin, whole), olive oil (extra virgin), salt (kosher), peppercorns (black), bacon, onions (red), xxxxx, red wine vinegar, mustard (dijon), garlic, mushrooms (cremini), chives (fresh)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 4 whole beef tenderloin steaks, each about 6 ounces and 11/4 inches thick
- 1/4 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 3 oz. thick bacon, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup(s) finely diced red onion
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a press
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, stems removed, each cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- 1. Brush the steaks on both sides with oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- 2. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- 3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F) and medium heat (350° to 450°F) and preheat a perforated grill pan over medium heat.
- 4. In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook the bacon and onion until the bacon is crisp, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Remove from the heat.
- 6. Combine the vinaigrette ingredients, including ¼ cup oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; whisk until smooth.
- 7. Put the mushrooms in a medium bowl and add ¼ cup of the vinaigrette.
- 8. Mix well. Reserve the remaining vinaigrette.
- 9. Grill the steaks over direct high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to your desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice.
- 10. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 11. Spread the mushrooms in a single layer on the grill pan and grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until golden brown and tender, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once or twice.
- 12. Don't move the mushrooms until the bottom sides are nicely browned.
- 13. Transfer the mushrooms to the skillet with the bacon and onions and warm over medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring often.
- 14. Add the chives and mix well.
- 15. Serve the steaks warm with the mushroom mixture spooned on top.
- 16. If desired, whisk the reserved vinaigrette and drizzle some over each steak.