Beef and Bacon Meat Pies
These Australian-inspired meat pies are a mouthwatering mini version of the classic. The perfect mate? Mallee Rock Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon. Upon first sip, you'll discover ripe blackberry and plum notes, with hints of mocha and toasty oak.
This recipe contains tart shells, puff pastry, olive oil, onions (red), garlic, cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, ground beef, bacon, frozen peas, gravy powder, chicken stock, eggs
- 1 pack puff pastry
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 kg regular ground beef
- 10 strips maple bacon, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp gravy powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 1. Heat oil in a large pan.
- 2. Once hot, add onion, garlic and spices, and cook until onions are translucent.
- 3. Add beef and bacon and cook until brown, making sure that any large clumps have been broken down.
- 4. Add peas, gravy powder and chicken stock and let simmer for about 7 minutes until a thick sauce has been made.
- 5. Let cool.
- 6. While waiting for the filling to cool, roll out the puff pastry and cut into rounds a little bit bigger than the tart shells (the pastry will shrink as it cooks).
- 7. Preheat an oven to 400F.
- 8. Place the tart shells on a non-stick cookie sheet and fill with the meat mixture
- 9. Place your pre-cut puff pastry round on top and brush it with a little egg wash.
- 10. Place in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes, until the top has puffed up and turned golden brown.
- 11. Take out of the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. (This will ensure the gravy isn't too hot.)